The Desire S is the upgraded version of the original HTC Desire (show side by side below) with Qualcomm’s new 1GHz Snapdragon™ MSM8255 processor. The rear camera is still the same 5 megapixel spec, but the new front-facing camera (1.3MP) is an improvement. There is 768MB of RAM and a 1450mAh battery and the version we had is running Android 2.3.2 although at MWC2011 HTC indicated the shipping versions would come with Android 2.4.
Using HTC’s now signature unibody, built from a single piece of aluminium with plastic for the aerial and battery covers the phone feels solid in your hand and although it retains the same 3.7-inch touch screen with 480 x 800 resolution and similar dimensions, thanks to its new curves it feels smaller and lighter than the original desire:
- Desire S – 115mm H x 59.8mm W x 11.63mm D – weight 130 grams
- Desire – 119mm H x 60mm W x 11.9mm D – weight 135 grams
The new build of Android 2.3.2 brings features such as:
- UI refinements for simplicity and speed
- The Android soft keyboard is redesigned and optimized for faster text input and editing and dictionary auto-correction.
- Improved power management
- Manage Applications control now appears in the Options Menu in the Home screen and Launcher
- Internet calling support with SIP
- Near-field communications (NFC) support for contact-less payments
- New Downloads Applications manager