Apple has launched this year’s most-awaited phone, the iPhone 12. However, this time, Apple has launched 4 of them. The “Hi-Speed event,” which was held virtually, released the iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Max, and iPhone 12 Mini.
The high-end models are iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Max. Developments are visible in terms of design and support for 5G cellular networks. The focus of the event was the news that the models will get 5G’s ultrafast network speeds.
Some of the important highlights of this year’s Apple phones are:
- Improvements in camera for low light photography, including front facing camera
- Faster A14 Bionic Chip
- Improved pixel density and display
- Built-in magnets to charge the phone with a wireless charger
- iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max have advanced camera capabilities
- New iPhone 12 Mini with a 5.4″ Super Retina display
- New Ceramic Shield display across all models
Let’s explore more features of Apple’s new iPhone 12 handsets.
The A14 Bionic chip powers iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Max. It is regarded as the world’s first 5-nanometre chipset. Apple has enhanced the computational efficiency of the chipset. Furthermore, the company claims that this chipset is 50% faster than the leading processors on Android phones.
All iPhone 12 models will support 5G sub-6 networks and millimetre waves. The 5G cellular network is ten times faster than your home WiFi. Moreover, the company has created a feature called Smart Data Mode, which automatically gets switched to an LTE network when 5G is not needed. This helps in saving battery life.
The new designs of the iPhone 12 handsets are sleeker with flat edges instead of rounded ones. The company goes back to the decade of the iPhone 4 and 5 in terms of design. iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Mini have high-contrast OLED screens that were only available to Apple’s expensive models previously.
The iPhone 12 Pro and the iPhone 12 Max have a 12-megapixel ultrawide camera, a 12-megapixel F1.6 primary camera, and a 12-megapixel telephoto camera. The company claims that by far, the primary camera has the fastest aperture in an iPhone.
The iPhone 12 Pro Max has a new LiDAR sensor that enables it to be the best camera ever. iPhone 12 has a Night Mode Time-Lapse feature and enhanced cinematic video stabilization. Furthermore, the TrueDepth camera supports Dolby Vision selfie videos at 60 frames per second and enables Face ID facial recognition biometric authentication.
The iPhone 12 models will come without earbuds or power adapters. According to Lisa Jackson, Sustainability Chief at Apple, they’re doing this to reduce carbon emissions. It’s like removing 450,000 cars globally per year which is equivalent to 2 million metric tons of carbon annually
The only accessory you get with the phone is USB-C to lightning cable. In an effort to lower their Carbon footprint, Apple has now removed wall chargers from their iPhone packaging.
The Apple iPhone 12 models come with MagSafe, which means magnets are embedded on the back that are created to work with snap-on accessories.
It solves one major problem of wireless charging – the need to place the phone on the exact right spot for efficient charging. The iPhone 12 phones will work with other standard Qi-enabled chargers, and the MagSafe charger is compatible with other Qi-enabled devices, too.
The iPhone 12 provides 17 hours of video playback and 65 hours of audio playback. There isn’t any improvement in battery life, as it is the same that the iPhone 11 had. iPhone 12 Mini has the smallest battery that provides 10 hours of streaming video and 15 hours of video playback.
iPhone 12 (6.1-inch) is priced at £799/$799 for 64GB of storage. Other variants of 128 and 256GB are also available. The iPhone 12 Mini costs £699$699 for 64GB of storage.
The company has made a good upgrade this year in terms of design, camera, and visual features. However, the 5G functionality will only be useful if you’re living under a 5G tower.
>> Alternative you can get amazing savings on the iPhone 11 – now discounted!
Grab the latest deals from Three when purchasing the brand new iPhone 12:
- Six Months Half Price: Unlimited data on the iPhone 12 64GB at just £27.50 for the first six months. Plus, upfront costs are covered when you trade in. Without a phone to trade in? Choose between £210 in upfront costs for the same deal, or £31.50 for six months and £49 upfront costs
- Just £19.50 for six months: Six months half price for iPhone 12 64GB, with 1GB data at £19.50 a month for first six months. Upfront costs are covered when trading in, or choose between £210 in upfront costs for the same deal, or £23.50 for six months and £49 upfront costs without trade-in
- Unlimited Data on the iPhone 12 Pro: Six months half price at just £32.50 a month for first six months. Upfront costs are covered when trading in. No phone to trade in? Get the same deal with £210 upfront costs, or £36 for six months and £99 upfront without trade-in